OBJECTIVES/GOALS OF THE NETWORK
The objectives/goals of the Network are in consonance with that of the International Geographic Society (1992).
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF STUDYING GEOGRAPHY (1992)
- Nurture students to understand and respect the importance of studying geography so as to respect all peoples, their cultures, values and their ways of life;
- Groom students to develop an affinity for and understanding of the increasing global inter-dependence of peoples and cultures through the understanding of geography.
- Prepare students to develop the geographic skills and attitudes that will enable them participate in solving the problems of their communities, their countries and the world at large.
- Assist students to develop relevant skills that will be useful to them in their daily lives as well as become aware of the international and environmental impacts of their decisions.
- Enable students adapt knowledge gained in decision-making roles in society which require local, national and international perspectives and competence.
- Acquire skills and perspectives for long-life learning.
- I t was set up to help promote geographic learning and interest.
- It was set up to help look for avenues to sponsor or support geographic activities in and around the country.
- It was set to provide a platform for young and future geographers to acquire skills and learn ways to help solve real life situations through the application of geographic learning.
- To conduct research to help evaluate geographic learning and issues related to the application of geography in solving a situation.
- To connect with all geographic related organizations to help create an environment for the promotion of geographic learning and ideas in the world.
- To help increase the number of geography majors in our various institutions in the country and beyond.
- To help address issues that impedes the realization of the objectives set for the study of the course geography.
- To help the public to understand the importance of geography in their lives and the community.
- To help create an avenue for young people to showcase their abilities.
- To help promote activities of Geographical Societies in Ghana and across the globe.